Check your internet speed for free:

Back to Home Page

Friday, October 15, 2010

Unlocking an AMD Sempron 140.

It's about 4PM at our offices. I was deploying a customized PC. While I was accessing the BIOS, I ran across the "Unlock CPU" option, which then I Enabled just to try. Upon saving and restarting, the single-core AMD Sempron 140 (Sargas) is now a dual-core AMD Athlon II X2 440 (Regor). Here is the CPU-Z Validation and the image below:

Windows 7 booted perfectly. I ran the usual office applications for about 30 minutes and the PC didn't freeze. Afterwards I re-disabled the 2nd core because it could actually be a defective core (it was disabled in the first place), also the stock fan was designed for a single-core Sempron. Besides, the user doesn't need a dual-core CPU and the additional power consumption from unlocking the 2nd core.

I jumped on another machine and did the same. Unfortunately the PC went through an infinite POST-and-Restart loop. I have to remove the CMOS battery and restore the BIOS defaults to fix the problem. The unlocking this time didn't work.

By the way, the PC specs were:
  • AMD Sempron 140 Processor (Sargas) 2.7GHz
  • Gigabyte M68M-S2P Motherboard 
  • The rest here.

No comments: