Check your internet speed for free:

Back to Home Page

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Avast Home Edition and Vista SP2

Today I installed Vista Home Basic SP1 OEM on a new Athlon64 machine. Installation was smooth. Then I patched it with SP2.

I encountered a problem with Avast Home Edition, wherein after the reboot, the Avast splash screen loaded. Quite weird, when I right-clicked the Avast taskbar icon, nothing happened. I also launched Avast from the start menu, the spash screen appeared and memory scanning started. However after the memory scan, no Avast GUI came out.

Suspecting the Windows Defender to be conflicting with Avast H.E., I disabled it and restarted vista. Finally the Avast GUI and taskbar context menu worked. I then re-enabled windows defender.

The problem now is that Avast attempts to update online but can't find any new updates. I will check the firewall settings tomorrow and post back.

1 comment:

OmegaWolf747 said...

I have similar problems intermittently with Avast (not loading the scanning engine or log viewer). Also since I upgraded to Vista SP2, it no longer updates its virus signatures automatically.